Monday, February 15, 2010

Egg Preparation Series: Scrambled Eggs

When I first started cooking, scrambled eggs was my most used recipe. It didn't become edible until after a few tries. Hey I was 12 years old, give me a break. Scrambled eggs might be easy to make, but they are just a easy to mess up. Most common fails are too runny, too dry or flavorless. Below I'll give you the written recipe and method. I'll also link to the video so that you can see how they're made.





What you need:
  • frying pan
  • spatula
  • bowl
  • fork
  • plate

Ingredients:
  • eggs (1 to 2 for one person. add 1 more egg per person eating with you)
  • 1 -2 table spoons milk
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • tea and toast to accompany
Step 1: Can't make an omelette ...

Crack your eggs over the bowl. Make sure to check if any shell has gotten in the bowl. If you're eating something sift textured, the last thing you want to do is crunch on an unidentified object, flying or otherwise. Use your fork as a whisk and scramble the eggs. Add the milk, salt & pepper. Whisk again.

Step 2: The frying pan, the stove, it's heat and your toast.

Put the frying pan on medium heat and give it a moment to warm up. Spray it with a little spray oil. Put your toast in the toaster and toast it. Easy right?

When your pan is hot, add the eggs. If they start to cook quickly, use the spatula to push the eggs around, forming curds. If your pan is not properly heated you might have to wait a moment to start scrambling. Push and flip the eggs about so that they cook through.

Here's the trick: If they look like they need a minute more, they're done! Dry eggs are nasty, but if that's how you roll then I won't stop you. But essentially what you're looking for is light, fluffy and moist.

2 comments:

The Beaudoins said...

Good to know about curd formation!

frooverheeman said...

I LIKE cat hair in my eggs, my favorite spice :) I tend to overcook my scrambled eggs so this was nice.

Nice demonstration of using a plastic spatula with a non-stick pan to keep the teflon unscratched-- I had to learn that the hard way... metal or plastic with metal, plastic with teflon