Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Fail Fixed: Biscuits to French Toast

Even I mess up in the kitchen at times. Biscuits are my kryptonite. For some reason making biscuits or scones from scratch escapes me. I used a CookingLight.com recipe for "Angel Biscuits" and they came out like little tough breads. Yeah, fail.



Those are the biscuits in question. They don't look horrible but they didn't taste very good either. I had so many of them I didn't just want to throw them out. Tossing food is tossing money! If it's not spoiled or evil to your body, trying to fix a fail is better than throwing it out entirely.

What did I do? I figure throw enough sugar and butter at something and you'll get someone to eat it. French toast anyone? (this can also be done with bread that has gone stale)

What you need:
  • baking dish roughly 8x8
  • spray oil or butter
  • spatula

Ingredients*
  • 10 bad biscuits (approx)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk (skim is fine)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • little bit of butter for the top
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
*I guessed at most of the measurements. You have to read the rest of the post to avert further failure.


Step 1: Splitting (hairs) Biscuits

Use the spray oil or a little butter in the baking dish. It makes it easier to lift the bake out of the dish. Cut the biscuits in half, making 2 discs. Rob put some cheese in between and made a biscuit cheese sandwich, which you can do also, but I digress. Layer the biscuits until they are all resting snugly in the dish. Scramble the eggs and milk together and pour over the biscuits.

PAY ATTENTION!!

This is where the guess work comes in. Now, if you have a crap ton of biscuits, like I did, your egg and milk mix might not cover the biscuits in the dish. To fix this, take out another egg, mix in about a tablespoon of milk to thin it out and add. The goal is to get the biscuits almost covered with egg and milk.

PAY ATTENTION AGAIN!!! I shouldn't have to say this ......BUT.... remember to leave AT LEAST two inches at the top so you avoid spills and burns. If you can't count, close the space between three of your fingers. No a thumb is not a finger, it's a digit. Line up the side of your index finger with the rim of the dish. See the side where your middle finger ends? Good. DO NOT PASS THAT. No I can't spell, but I can count and cook so shut up.

Step 2: Leave it alone, Slick....

Ok so you have your biscuits, milk & eggs all proportioned to taste and they look so cute sitting there. Leave. No really. Leave it along for at least 10 minutes. If your oven takes a while to heat up to 350, now might be a good time to turn that on and clean up after yourself.

Step 3: Baking time!

After the 10 minutes are up, the bread should be squishy and filled with eggy goodness. Now, get a small bowl and put in the 2 tablespoons of sugar and the 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Mix them up and then sprinkle the cinnamon sugar all over the top. Feel free to use it all. It really depends on how sugary you want it. Take some butter and put little pieces of it all along the top of the sugared biscuits. Put it in the oven, set to 350 for about 30 - 40 minutes or until it turn golden brown.

If it still looks a little underdone, just let it sit and do its stuff. Remember, the more material you have to cook, the longer it's going to take.

BTW - let it cool before you eat it. Found that out the hard way. :(

I'll be making this again so a video will soon follow.

2 comments:

frooverheeman said...

NOM, i love me some biscuits! My sister can make some serious scones! I haven't tried them before but this was a good entry.

"Tossing food is tossing money! If it's not spoiled or evil to your body, trying to fix a fail is better than throwing it out entirely."

I agree-hence my using those extra bags of no additive potato chips as a baked chicken coating just for an experiment. I didn't want to waste them because there were over 7 bags which I had ordered by mail and whether or not you will EVER believe me, that chicken was DAMN good ;)

frooverheeman said...

this recipe was a BIG WIN!!!!!!

the french toast was delish!!